Dr. Ivar E. Reimanis
Herman F. Coors Distinguished Professor of Ceramic Engineering
- PhD, Materials, University of California, Santa Barbara
- MS, Materials Science and Mineral Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
- BS, Materials Science and Engineering, Cornell University
Colorado School of Mines
- Professor of Ceramic Engineering, April 2003 to present
- Associate Professor of Ceramic Engineering, August 1998 to March 2003
- Assistant Professor of Ceramic Engineering, September 1994 to August 1998
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- U.S. Fulbright sponsored visiting professor, Department of Materials Engineering, December 2006 to April 2007
University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
- Gledden Visiting Senior Fellow, Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, January 2002 to June 2002
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico
- Technical Staff Member, October 1993 to September 1994 (Ceramic Armor Program, Project Leader; Elevated Temperature Structural Materials; Metal/Glass Sealing for Explosive Actuators)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, January 1992 to October 1993
Max-Planck-Institut für Metallforschung, Stuttgart, Germany
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, September 1990 to December 1991
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York
- Research Assistant, July 1986 to December 1986
- Summer Research Assistant, May 1984 to August 1984
Scientific and Professional Societies
- American Ceramic Society
- Materials Research Society
- Minerals, Metals and Materials Society
Awards and Fellowships
- Fellow, The American Ceramic Society
- Dean’s Excellence Award, Colorado School of Mines (2012)
- United States Fulbright Grant Recipient, India (2006/2007)
- Gledden Senior Visiting Fellowship, Australia (2002)
- Outstanding CSM Faculty Member for MME Department, (December 1999)
- Recipient of 1996 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- Los Alamos National Laboratory Large Team Distinguished Performance Award (1995)
- Max-Planck-Institut Fellowship (1990 – 1991)
Affiliations and Professional Service (Last Five Years)
- Board of Directors, The American Ceramic Society (2011 – 2014)
- Various associations with the American Ceramic Society (ACerS):
- Nominating Committee (2014 – present)
- Associate Editor for the Journal of the American Ceramic Society (2010 – present)
- Panelist for United States Department of Energy Office of Sciences workshop on Basic Research Needs for Environmental Management, July 8 - 10, 2015
- United States Student Fulbright National Screening Committee, Institute of International Education (2011-2013)
- Chair of the Materials Science and Technology Programming Coordinating Committee for MS&T11 (2010/2011)
- On-site Expert for National Laboratory DOE/OBES program review for INL (2001) and LBNL (2010)
- Technical Reviewer for: Metallurgical Transactions, Minerals, Metals and Materials Society Publications, Acta Materialia, Scripta Materialia (selected as one of five Best Reviewers for 2011), Philosophical Magazine, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Materials Manufacturing and Processes, Journal of Materials Synthesis and Processing, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Physical Review Letters, Quarterly Journal of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, Journal of Applied Mechanics, Experimental Mechanics, International Journal of Solids and Structures, International Journal of Fracture, International Journal of Materials Research, Surface Science, Journal of Materials Science, Journal of Chemistry and Physics of Solids, Journal of Nuclear Materials
Publications (Last Five Years)
- Y. Chen, S. Manna, B. Narayanan, Z. Wang, I. E. Reimanis, and C. Ciobanu, “Pressure-Induced Phase Transformation in b-eucryptite: an X-ray Diffraction and Density Functional Theory Study”, submitted to Physical Review Letters (2015).
- B. C. Davis, L. Ward, D. P. Butt, B. Fillery, and I. E. Reimanis, "Fracture Strength and Principal Stress Fields during Crush Testing of the SiC Layer in TRISO-Coated Fuel Particles", submitted to Journal of Nuclear Materials (2015).
- A. Morrissey, J. R. O'Brien, and I. E. Reimanis, "Tailored Metal-Ceramic Nanocomposites Prepared by Redox Cycling of Polycrystalline Ni-doped Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia", Scripta Materialia 112, 109-113 (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.scriptamat.2015.09.025
- A. Morrissey, J. R. O'Brien, and I. E. Reimanis, "Microstructure Evolution During Internal Reduction of Polycrystalline Nickel-doped Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia", Acta Materialia 205, 84-93 (2016). DOI:10.1016/j.actamat.2015.12.005
- D. Marshall, R. F. Cook, N. P. Padture, M. L. Oyen, A. Pajares, J. E. Bradby, I. E. Reimanis, R. Tandon, T. F. Page, G. M. Pharr, and B. R. Lawn, "The Compelling Case for Indentation as a Functional Exploratory and Characterization Tool", Journal of the American Ceramic Society 98 2671-2680 (2015). DOI: 10.1111/jace.13729
- M. Rubat du Merac, I. Reimanis, H.-J. Kleebe, "Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy of Transparent Polycrystalline Magnesium Aluminate (MgAl2O4) Spinel" Journal of the American Ceramic Society 98 2130-2138 (2015).
- D. Clark, J. Tong, A. Morrissey, A. Amonsoori, I. Reimanis, and R. O’Hayre, “Anomalous Low-Temperature Proton Conductivity Enhancement in a Novel Protonic Nanocomposite”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys.,16 (11), 5076 – 5080 (2014). DOI: 10.1039/C4CP00468J
- J. T. White, I. E. Reimanis and J. R. O’Brien, “Superparamagnetic Nickel Particles in Yttria Stabilized Zirconia Prepared by Direct Reduction in Pechini Derived Solution”, Journal of Nanoparticle Research 16:2426 (2014). DOI: 10.1007/s11051-014-2426-y
- A. Morrissey, J. Tong, B. P. Gorman, and I. E. Reimanis, “Characterization of Nickel Ions in Nickel-Doped Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia”, Journal of the American Ceramic Society 97 1041-1047 (2014). DOI: 10.1111/jace.12839
- M. Rubat du Merac, H.-J. Kleebe, M. Muller and I. E. Reimanis, “50 Years of Research and Development Coming to Fruition; Unraveling the Complex Interactions during Processing of Transparent Magnesium Aluminate MgAl2O4 Spinel”, Feature Article, Journal of the American Ceramic Society 96 3341-3365 (2013).
- L. J. Palade, I. E. Reimanis and A. L. Graham, “Complex Dielectric Relaxation Behaviour of Highly Crosslinked PDMS Networks in the Glass Transition Region: an experimental study”, Materiale Plastice, 50, 2, pp. 97 – 99 (2013).
- L. J. Palade, I. E. Reimanis, A. L. Graham, and M. Gottlieb, “Linear Viscoelastic Behaviour of Highly Crosslinked Silica Reinforced Poly(dimethyl-siloxane) Rubbers”, Materiale Plastice, 50, 1, pp. 1 – 7, (2013).
- B. Narayanan, I. E. Reimanis, and. C. V. Ciobanu, “Atomic-scale Mechanism for Pressure-induced Amorphization of β-eucryptite”, Journal of Applied Physics 114, 083520 (2013). URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4819452
- S. Ramalingam, C. Packard, and I. E. Reimanis, "In-situ Diamond Anvil Cell–Raman Spectroscopy and Nanoindentation Study of the Pressure-Induced Phase Transformation in Pure and Zinc-Doped β–eucryptite", Journal of the American Ceramic Society 96 1909-1915 (2013).
- B. Narayanan, I. E. Reimanis, H. Huang, and C. V. Ciobanu, “Radiation Effects and Tolerance Mechanism in β-eucryptite”, Journal of Applied Physics 113, 033504 (2013). URL: http://link.aip.org/link/?JAP/113/033504; DOI: 10.1063/1.4775838
- D. D. Osterberg, J. Youngsman, R. Ubic, I. E. Reimanis, and D. P. Butt “Recrystallization Kinetics of 3C Silicon Carbide Implanted with 400 keV Cesium Ions" Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 96 3290-3295 (2013).
- S. Ramalingam and I. E. Reimanis, “Effect of Doping on the Thermal Expansion of β-eucryptite Prepared by Sol-Gel Methods”, in press in Journal of American Ceramic Society (June 2012).
- M. Rubat du Merac, I. E. Reimanis, C. Smith, M. M. Muller, and H.-J. Kleebe, “Effect of Impurities and LiF Additive in Hot Pressed Transparent Magnesium Aluminate Spinel”, in press in International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology (June 2012).
- J. T. White, I. E. Reimanis, J. Tong and J. R. O’Brien, “Internal Reduction of Ni2+ in ZrO2 Stabilized with 10 mol % Y2O3 Examined with VSM and SQUID Magnetometry”, in press in Journal of American Ceramic Society (January 2012).
- S. Ramalingam, I. E. Reimanis, and C. Packard, “Determining Activation Volume for the Pressure-Induced Phase Transformation in β-eucryptite through Nanoindentation”, Journal of American Ceramic Society 95 2051-2058, (2012).
- J. T. White, I. E. Reimanis, and J. R. O’Brien, “Solubility of NiO in Pechini-Derived ZrO 2 Examined with SQUID Magnetometry”, Journal of Materials Science, 47, 1690 – 1696, (2012).
- B. Narayanan, A. C. T. van Duin, B. B. Kappes, I. E. Reimanis and C. V. Ciobanu, “Reactive force field for lithium-aluminum silicates with applications to eucryptite phases”, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 20, 1, 14 pages, (2012). Available online: DOI: 10.1088/0965-0393/20/1/015002; http://arxiv.org/pdf/1106.3359.
- J. White, I. E. Reimanis, S. Menzer and G. Coors, “Diffusional kinetics of ZrO2 sintered with Y2O3 and NiO”, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94 2030-2036, (2011).
- S. Ramalingam, I. E. Reimanis, E. R. Fuller, Jr., and J. Haftel, “Slow Crack Growth Behavior of Zirconia Toughened Alumina (ZTA) and Alumina using the Dynamic Fatigue Indentation Technique”, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 94 pp. 576-583 (2011).
- V.T. Gritsyna, Yu.G. Kazarinov, A.O. Moskvitin and I.E. Reimanis, Point Defects in Magnesium Aluminates Spinel Ceramics Doped with Lithium Fluoride, ACTA PHYSICA POLONICA A, Vol. 117, 161-165 (2010).
- B. Narayanan, I. E. Reimanis, E. R. Fuller and C. Ciobanu, “ Elastic constants of β-eucryptite studied by density functional theory”, Phys. Rev. B 81, 104106 (2010). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRev B.81.104106.
- T. Jochum and I. E. Reimanis, “Reactions in Eucryptite-Based Lithium Aluminum Silicates”, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 93 1591-1596, (2010).
Mechanical Behavior: Fracture of ceramics and composites; crack propagation studies of metal/ceramic interfaces; deformation and fracture in functionally graded materials; numerical simulation of mechanical behavior
Processing Science: Synthesis and sintering of lithium aluminum silicates; sintering, densification and microstructure evolution of transparent spinel
Nuclear Materials: Behavior of ceramic nuclear fuel materials