Dr. Ivan A. Cornejo, PhD
Colorado Center for Advanced Ceramics
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Colorado School of Mines
Bio - Ivan A. Cornejo, PhD.
Dr. Cornejo serves as a Research Professor at the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at Colorado School of Mines. He received his Ph.D. in Material Science (Ceramics) in 1994, and his M.Sc. in Material Science in 1991, both from Colorado School of Mines. He received his B.A. in Education in Physics and Mathematics in 1986 from the Universidad of Santiago of Chile.
Dr. Cornejo has over 20 years of experience in glass, glass-ceramics, and ceramic research and development. He is an experienced leader with proven track records of technology delivery in fast-paced business environments with an outstanding ability to drive results through motivating and developing people. He has extensive cross-functional experience in research and development, both in academic and business settings. Recently, he served as the Global Research Director of Glass Research at Corning Incorporated where he delivered many new technologies for use in products for ultra-low loss fiber for telecom, novel glass compositions for LCD displays, chemical strengthened glass for mobile applications, fundamental understanding of defects in high purity fused silica, and new glass frits for display sealing and energy applications. Among these contributions are:
1. Corning® Gorilla® Glass (I, II and III) for handheld and mobile devices.
2. Jade® Glass for advanced LTPS displays
3. Lotus™ Glass for high performance displays
4. EAGLE XG® glass for LCD displays. This is the industry’s first glass with no added arsenic, antimony, barium or halides.
Dr. Cornejo has mentored many students (graduate and undergraduate) and scientists (in industry and academic settings) during his career. He promoted the first female to Research Fellow in Corning Incorporated in 2002 and established The Stookey Award program with COE College in 2005 to motivate and reward undergraduate students to pursue scientific and/or engineering graduated studies.
Dr. Cornejo has been nominated three times (2006, 2007, and 2008) for the prestigious award “100 Most Important Hispanics in Technology and Business by the editors of Hispanic Engineer & Information Technology Magazine. In 1994 he received the Chilean National Award for Post-Doctoral Research Projects (FONDECYT).
Dr. Cornejo holds two patents and seven patent applications. In addition, he has over twenty-five papers published in refereed professional journals.
Selected List of Documentation
1. AU 2003271273B2; “Ultrasonic arrays of flexible piezoelectric transducer elements”, [Cited by 26]1999
2. EP 1066119 B1; “Flexible Transducers and Arrays Thereof”, [Cited by 11]1999
Published Patent Applications
1. I.A. Cornejo, S. Gomez, L.A. Moore, and S. Tsuda, “Strengthened Glass Substrate Sheets and Methods for Fabricating Glass Panels from Glass Substrate Sheets,” United States Patent Application 2012/0196071 A1 (2012)
2. I.A. Cornejo, G.S. Glaesemann, S. Gomez, L.A. Moore, S. Tsuda, and M.H. Wasilewski, “Methods for Forming Grooves and Separating Strengthened Glass Substrates,” United States Patent Application 2012/0135177 A1 (2012)
3. I.A. Cornejo, S. Gomez, J.M. Harris, L.A. Moore, and S. Tsuda, “Glass Interposer Panels And Methods For Making The Same,” United States Patent Application 2012/0048604 A1 (2012).
4. I.A. Cornejo, S. Gomez, R.A. Schaut, and S.A. Tietje, “Variable Temperature/Continuous Ion Exchange Process,” United States Patent Application 2011/0293942 A1 (2011).
5. I.A. Cornejo and S. Marjanovic, “Glass Structure Having Sub-Micron and Nano-Size Bandgap Structures and Method of Producing the Same,” United States Patent Application 2009/0260397 A1 (2009).
1. Ph.D. Thesis 1994, Colorado School of Mines (USA); "Low Temperature Crystallization of Pb5Ge3O11-PbTiO3 and Pb5Ge3O11-Pb(Zr,Ti)O3 Glass-Ceramic Systems with Multiple Ferroelectric Phases for Pyroelectric Applications"
2. M.Sc. Thesis 1991, Colorado School of Mines (USA) "Correlation of the Quantitative Meissner Effect, Thermoelectric Power, and Oxygen Content in YBa2Cu3O7-d High-Tc Ceramic Superconductors"
3. B.A. Mathematics and Physics 1987, Copyright 66593, Universidad de Santiago de Chile (Chile) "La Simulación como Instrumento para la Enseñanza de la Física, Mediante el Microcomputador"
Peer Reviewed Publications
1. A. Ellison and I.A. Cornejo, “Glass Substrates for Liquid Crystal Displays,” International Journal of Applied Glass Science 1  87-103 (2010). [Cited by 32]
2. Gwenaëlle M. Lous, Iván A. Cornejo, Thomas F. McNulty, Ahmad Safari and Stephan C. Danforth, “Fabrication of Piezoelectric Ceramic/Polymer Composite Transducers Using Fused Deposition of Ceramics,” J.Am.Ceram. Soc. 83  (2000): 124-128 [Cited by 50]
3. I.A. Cornejo, T.F. McNulty, S. Lee, E. Bianchi, S.C. Danforth and A. Safari, “Development of bioceramic tissue scaffolds via fused deposition of ceramics,” Bioceramics: Materials and Applications III, Ceram. Trans., Vol.110, (2000): 183-195.
4. IA Cornejo, B. Jadidian, EK Akdogan, and A. Safari, “Dielectric and electromechanical properties of PbNi1/3Nb2/3O3-PbTiO3-PbZrO3 system:a processing property study,” Applications of Ferroelectrics, 1998 ISAF: 337-340 [cited by 2]
5. I.A. Cornejo, B. Jadidian, A.A. Winder, and A. Safari, “Large-area flexible-array piezoelectric ceramic/polymer composite transducers for bone healing acceleration,” Proc. XI IEEE ISAF, IEEE Cat. No. 98CH36245, (1998): 259-263.
6. Lous GM, Cornejo IA, McNulty TF, Safari A., Danforth SC,”Fabrication of piezoelectric ceramic/polymer composite transducers using fusion deposition of ceramics,” MRS Proc. Vol. 542 (1998): 105-110
7. Lous GM, Cornejo IA, McNulty TF, Safari A., Danforth SC, “Fabrication of curved ceramic/polymer composite transducer for ultrasonic imaging applications by fused deposition of ceramics,” Applications of Ferroelectrics, 1998, ISAF 1998: 239-242 [cited by 1]
8. A. Safari, SC Danforth, AL Kholkin, IA Cornejo, F. Mohammadi, T. McNulty, and R. Panda, “Processing of novel electroceramic components by SFF techniques,” MRS Proc.1998: 542-585
9. I.A. Cornejo and M.J. Haun, "Thick-film processing of Pb5Ge3O11-based ferroelectric glass-ceramics," Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol.398, (1995): 399-404.
10. M.J. Haun, I.A. Cornejo, Y.D. Kim, B. Houng, J. Collier, C.Y. Kim, S. Landin, and W.H. Gemmill, "Ferroelectric compositions for thick film sensor, actuator, and capacitor applications," Proc. Of the First Pan Pacific Microelectronics Symposium, Honolulu, Hawaii, Feb. 6-8, 1996.
11. I.A. Cornejo and M.J. Haun, "Electrical properties of Pb5Ge3O11-based ferroelectric glass-ceramics," Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol.400, (1995): 353-358. [cited by 1]
12. I.A. Cornejo, G. Sylvester, and M.J. Haun, “Ferroelectric Glass-Ceramics Based on Pb5Ge3O11,” Proc. Simposio Franco-Chileno en Ciencia de Materiales, Valparaiso, October 25-28, (1995): 14-15
13. Y.D. Kim, S.M. Landin, I.A. Cornejo, and M.J. Haun, "Low-Firing Pb(Mg_Nb_)O3-PbTiO3-Pb5Ge2SiO11 Compositions for Thick Film Capacitor Applications," Proc. of the Ninth ISAF, Applications of ferroelectrics, 1994 ISAF: 585-588.
14. I.A. Cornejo, J. Collier, and M.J. Haun, "Ferroelectric and Crystallization Behavior in the Pb5Ge3O11-PbTiO3-PbZrO3 Glass-Ceramic System," Ferroelectrics, (1994): 53-58. [cited by 7]
15. J. Collier, I.A. Cornejo, and M.J. Haun, "Ferroelectric Thick-Films for Piezoelectric Applications," Ferroelectrics, Vol. 154, (1994): 47-52. [cited by 18]
16. I.A. Cornejo, J.U. Trefny, and B. Yarar, "Thermoelectric Power of YBa2Cu3O7-d Superconductive Thin-Films as a Function of Oxygen Contents," J. Mater. Res. Vol. 8, No. 2, (1993): 255-260. [cited by 3]
17. M.J. Haun, I.A. Cornejo, J. Collier, S.M. Landin, Y. Kim, and B. Houng, "Processing Techniques for Crystal Alignment in Lead Germanate Based Compositions," in Proc. Sixth U.S.-Japan Seminar on Dielectric and Piezoelectric Ceramics, Nov. 11-12, 1993: 251-254, Maui, Hawaii.
18. I.A. Cornejo, J.U. Trefny, and B. Yarar, "Correlation of the Thermoelectric Power, Oxygen Content and C-Lattice Constant of YBa2Cu3O7-D Superconducting Thin Films" Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 36 (3), (1991): 830.
19. I.A. Cornejo, J.H. Ahn, J.U. Trefny, B. Yarar, R. Hu, and C. Platt, "Correlation of the Thermoelectric Power, Meissner Effect, and Oxygen Content of YBCO High-Tc Superconductors," in Science and Technology of Thin-Film Superconductors 2, edited by R.D. McConnell and R. Noufi (Solar Energy Research Institute, Golden, CO, USA 1990): 469-475.
20. I.A. Cornejo, Superconductividad: Tecnología para el Siglo XXI, U. de La Serena, 1990. (Texto de Estudio)
21. B. Yarar, I.A. Cornejo, A. Bono, J.U. Trefny, and H. Bird, "Superconductivity Meter: A New Device for the Quantification of the Meissner Effect in High Temperature Superconductors," in Proc. of Industry-University Advanced Materials Conference II, edited by F.W. Smith, (1989): 800-809.
Selected National and International Lectures
1. Badrinarayan, M K Dr (Badri) and Cornejo, Ivan A Dr, “Recent Advances in Glass and Glass Ceramics for Display & Specialty Applications,” 6/8/2007
2. Cornejo, Ivan A. Dr., “Science and Technology Overview,” XXI ICG Congress, Strasbourg, France, 6/22/2007
3. Cornejo, Ivan A. Dr., “Old and New Trends in Technology, 9/28/2007
4. Cornejo, Ivan A. Dr., “Glass Research – Old and New Trends in Technology,” 10/10/2007
5. Danielson, Paul S Dr, Cornejo, Ivan A Dr, and Badrinarayan, M K Dr (Badri), “Recent Advances in Glass Composition and Process Research at Corning Incorporated,” 9/30/2008
6. Danielson, Paul S Dr, Cornejo, Ivan A Dr, and Badrinarayan, M K Dr (Badri), “Recent Advances in Glass and Glass-Ceramic Composition and Process Research at Corning Incorporated,” 10/06/2008
7. Cornejo, Ivan A Dr, and Danielson, Paul S Dr., “Glass Composition and Process Research at Corning Incorporated,” 1/26/2009
8. Cornejo, Ivan A Dr, Badrinarayan, M K Dr (Badri), and Dr. Paul Danielson, “Glass Composition and Process Research at Corning Incorporated,” 8/20/2009
9. Ellison, Adam J Dr and Cornejo, Ivan A Dr,” History of Liquid Crystal Display Substrates at Corning Inc.” 12/21/2009
10. Cornejo, Ivan A Dr,” Glass-Ceramics: Fundamentals and Applications,” XXII ICG Congress, Salvador, Brazil, 9/10/2010
11. Cornejo, Ivan A Dr,” New and Emerging Specialty Glass Products,” AFPG 9, Cairns, Australia, 6/30/2011
12. Cornejo, Ivan A Dr, Moffatt Fairbanks, Dawne M Dr, and Heckle, Christine E, “Inorganic and Broad Based Technologies Directorate Overview,” 8/19/2011
13. Cornejo, Ivan A Dr, “Inorganic Technologies - A decade of innovations,” 11/14/2011
14. Cornejo, Ivan A Dr, “Corning Inorganic Technologies - A Review,” 3/27/2012
© 2013 Colorado School of Mines